Hello lovely readers! I'm Fox28's regular blogger girl Mia. I like to get out and enjoy the sights, activities, and dining experiences in and around Spokane and I'm here to share it all with you. I'm just awesome like that.
Let's jump right in with last weekend. Friday night I headed over to the Elk Public House in Browne's Addition for a get-together with the guys from Spokast Podcast. If you aren't listening, what's wrong with you? These guys are funny, local, not at all safe for work, and they have a great line-up of guests including everyone's (okay that is kind of subjective) favorite weather-man George Maupin. The place was hopping with a busy weekend crowd but we managed to get a large table to fit our large group. Those Spokast guys sure can attract a varied party. I found myself chatting throughout the evening with WWII re-eanactors, the future owner of Fleet Parts in St Maries Idaho, the current owner of Life's Flix here in Spokane, a high school history teacher, a chemist, a recruiter for Gonzaga, an audio producer at a rival local TV station, and a hopeful future golf-pro. It was a fun time.
After a few hours we mozied on Downtown to see what kind of shenanigans were to be found elsewhere. We tried to hit up Andy's in the Grand Coulee building but the place was packed and we just wouldn't fit. So our group wandered down the street to Rain Lounge. Luckily there was room at this inn and we found ourselves a large table that would accommodate our whole group. Rain is a cool place, filled with art and ambient lighting and live music on Friday nights apparently. The musician looked like he walked right off a Pearl Jam album and played covers of songs like "Sweet Caroline", which was kinda cool really. It was Happy Hour and I had a drink the color of Smurfs that tasted like fruity awesome.
Saturday I headed over to Riverpark Square AMC for an early showing of "Jurassic Park" in 3D. I remember seeing that film in the theater way back in the day when it first came out (I'm so so old). It was just as big and loud and exciting as I remember it, only this time in 3D! I was hoping to catch it on IMAX 3D, but that goofy "Oblivion" movie took over the theater just days before which was a bit of a bummer. Oh well, "Jurassic Park" is "Jurassic Park" no matter how you see it, and totally worth the extra charge for the 3D. There were some little kids in the theater experiencing it for the first time ever and I was kinda jealous. It sucks a bit that you can only see a movie for the first time once.
Later in the day, after a nice long nap because I’m getting too old for the constant partying, I went out with my older sister to catch dinner and a movie. We ended up at The Garland Theater to see "Mama", a creepy little flick with an important message about how stupid it is to wander into dark abandoned cabins in the woods at night and without proper back up. I enjoyed it more than I expected, but the best part was the reactions of the audience. They jumped, they screamed, they freaked out. It was awesome. After the film we headed over to the Viking Bar and Grill. A friend of my sister was tending bar and when he discovered that he couldn’t make me the drink I initially ordered, he started inventing drinks especially for me. The "Steve" (as the first one will hereby be known as) had a nice peach-y tang and a bit of a sour kick, while the "Sven" (also named by me, I guess I'm just not all that clever) tasted almost exactly like red Jell-o. If you are at the Viking in the future and Ryan Davis is behind the bar, go ahead and order a Steve or a Sven. I think he’ll get a kick out of that.
Well I’m off to see what other kinds of trouble I can get into. I’ll be back next week (on Monday if I’m feeling industrious or Tuesday if I’m being lazy) to talk about things like Japan Week, roller derby, and wild and crazy trivia nights.
Why don't you head out for some adventures of your own while I'm gone? If you're lucky you just might see me bouncing around town while you're out there.
Post new comment
Recent blog posts
- Adventures in Spokane - Part Nineteen: Where Chocolate Becomes a Wonderfall, Geek Girls Meet, and I Play on the Radio
- Adventures in Spokane - Part Eighteen: Where I Hate Snow, Stuff My Face with Tacos, and Ponder Pretty Science Fiction
- Special Feature! - Get Involved in Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Special Feature! - Get Involved with Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month
- Adventures in Spokane - Part Seventeen: Where I Turn Another Year Older, Try to Steal a Dragon, and Pet a Giant Tortoise
- Get Ready for Some Schedule Changes - Programming on FOX28!
- Adventures in Spokane - Part Sixteen: Where I Go on Hiatus, Family Invades Spokane, and Nothing Goes as Planned
- Adventures in Spokane - Part Fifteen: Where a Donut Tries to Kill Me, I Eat to Stop the Pain, and Sharks Fall from the Sky
- Adventures in Spokane - Part Fourteen: Where I Actually Find Snakes, See Giant Robots vs Giant Monsters, and Drink Lots of Wine
- Adventures in Spokane - Part Thirteen: Searching for Creatures, Laughing It Up Live, and Dune Disappointment