ROSALIA, Wash. - Students who attend Rosalia Elementary and Secondary School were accidentally exposed to chemicals this week.
Officials say a maintenance worker sprayed some playground equipment with the chemical Tempo SC to keep bugs away but children were allowed back on the equipment too soon. Some had serious allergic reactions.
According to the packaging on Tempo SC, the chemical can be harmful if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through the skin.
Bill Thurston, the Rosalia Schools Superintendent released the following statement:
"The District followed recommended washing treatment for those impacted students and sent information home to the parents regarding the incident.
The district has reviewed this situation with poison control, the manufacture of the product to ensure appropriate remediation measures are taken, and reported the incident to the Whitman County Health department
Families with any questions or concerns regarding this limited exposure issue please contact the district office."