NEW YORK (AP) - U.S. retail sales of video game hardware, software and accessories fell 29 percent in June, marking the seventh consecutive month of decline.
Sales totaled $700 million. Sales of console and portable software - the video games themselves - fell 29 percent from a year earlier to $329 million. Sales of hardware fell 45 percent to $201 million. That was offset partly by a 4 percent increase in sales of accessories, to $170 million.
The study from NPD Group tracks sales of new physical products - about 50 percent to 60 percent of the total spending. Excluded are sales of used games and rentals as well as digital and social-network spending.
NPD also listed the top-selling games in June:
1. "Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes," Time Warner Inc.'s Warner Bros. Interactive
2. "Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier," Ubisoft Group
3. "Diablo III," Activision Blizzard Inc.
4. "Max Payne 3," Take-Two Interactive Software Inc.
5. "NBA 2K12," Take-Two Interactive Software Inc.
6. "Batman Arkham City," Time Warner Inc.'s Warner Bros. Interactive
7. "Pokemon Conquest," Nintendo Co.
8. "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3," Activision Blizzard Inc.
9. "Battlefield 3," Electronic Arts Inc.
10. "The Amazing Spider-Man," Activision Blizzard Inc.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.